Thursday, June 17, 2010

The little things

So in the past few weeks I've had to learn to appreciate the little things in life (and some of the big ones). In the category of the big ones is getting moved to officer's berthing (I may have done a happy dance and kissed my key card). I get the news about an hour after I got back on ship from my Vietnam medcap and was so excited that I moved that very night. Officer's berthing is glorious and wonderful, I now have a proper twin sized bed that I can actually sit up in without braining myself of the bunk above me. I have lockers that are bigger AND drawers!! There is so much space it's amazing. There are more showers for fewer people and instead of being scalded and sand blasted by the showers I actually have normal temperature water that flows gently. Also I'm now in a room with just 7 of my new best friends instead of 59- if someone turns the lights on and is loud when I'm sleeping I now know who to yell at. I'm so glad that I spent my 3 weeks in enlisted berthing because now I truly appreciate the wonder that is officer's berthing. If I had just gone straight into officer's I think I would have not appreciated it and found things to complain about- but now I'm just happy about it.

Also a little thing that I appreciate is the Navy's obsession with cake. At first I wasn't sure it would last but we have run out of fresh fruit, junk food, chocolate milk, fresh vegetables and through it all the cake continues to be omnipresent at all of my meals. Really- at all of them, breakfast included. I'm not sure where the cake is coming from- I don't want to ask but I know that it makes my day when they bust out a new icing flavor. (So far my favorite was peanut butter). Whatever the reason for the cake obsession I will continue to appreciate it and enjoy- although I have now limited myself to cake at only one meal per day.

We arrived in Cambodia on Monday and so far it's been great. The people are so different from the Vietnamese. I have to say that I am very impressed with the quality of the translators that have been provided- most of the actually know how to speak English and many of them are also medical professionals who are able to accurately relay information and concepts, not just words. Here's hoping for a great time here and I will continue to post as often as the abominably slow internet will allow.

Amy J:)

4 comments:

  1. Vero! You reading this? The boat needs nurses, engineers AND CAKE! (fyi everyone: I've been telling Veronique a trip like this would be fun but her concern was "Who really needs cakes?" ...the navy wants YOU!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Vero could come up with icing that would beat the Navy's peanut butter flavor too!

    Hopefully your box of "little things" catches up with you while you're still in Cambodia. Glad you've got some extra storage space :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you sound like you are having a blast! Wish I was there with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you made it to Officer Berthing. I am sure you appreciate it. Keep up the good work. It is nice to keep updated on the Mercy. You are in my prayers everyday.

    ReplyDelete